Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Who needs a housekeeper?

Another one of my New Year's resolutions was to do more things myself rather than pay someone else to do it. The cleaning lady was one of the first things to be cut! This is helping me in more ways than one; not only am I saving money, but I'm also burning about 150 calories per hour spent cleaning (moderate intensity).

It takes me about 4-6 hours to clean my house from top to bottom. That's a lot of calories burned right there! Doing that once a week...it definitely adds up! I didn't realize the benefits of this resolution and I think I just may stick to it.

Here are some tips to keep you at moderate intensity and maximize your results during your housekeeping workout:

1. Listen to high energy music to keep you moving at a steady upbeat pace
2. Stand while folding the laundry and put it away immediately after folding it.
3. Wash your floors on your hands and knees.
4. Limit your breaks to 5 minutes or less (KEEP MOVING)
5. Stay hydrated (I carry a water bottle around with me and keep refilling it)
6. Stay on your meal plan; don't snack
7. Make multiple trips if you have to bring things up and down stairs; this will keep you from hurting yourself and it will force you to get a killer leg workout!
8. Don't take cleaning shortcuts, really put some elbow grease into your work. You'll work up a sweat while getting your house SPOTLESS!

Happy Cleaning!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I guess I need a housekeeper! I just have not been able to keep up and I refuse to live amongst piles and clutter. BLAH! I was really hoping to be able to do this...

    ReplyDelete