Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Easy Chicken and Rice Soup

Chicken Noodle Soup is a staple in our household. Its one of my husband's favorite meals and its the perfect compliment to a cold Maryland day. Last week, I decided to substitute Jasmine Long-Grain white rice for the traditional egg noodle. This gives the soup a better carbohydrate and makes the soup healthier and guilt free.

4 cups low sodium 100% natural chicken broth
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 small onion
2 stalks celery
1 carrot
fresh thyme
fresh sage
4 c water
1 c rice
black pepper to taste

Put chicken and broth in stock pot and boil until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Remove chicken and add diced onion, celery, carrot and herbs to the broth; I also add my pepper. Simmer veggies while dicing chicken breasts, add the diced chicken back to stock pot and add water; bring to boil. Add rice and turn down to medium heat, cook until rice is tender. Do not overcook! Remove pot from heat (I suggest not leaving the soup in the pot, I usually transfer the soup into containers for lunches/dinner portions for the week)

1-12oz ladle serving is only 79 calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment