Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Nutrition and Breakfast

I've always been a lover of food. I could count on one hand the number of things that I don't enjoy when it comes to food... I've always LIVED to eat, rather than eat to live. Anyone that knows me knows that good food is the fastest way to warm my heart. Marty and I laugh that he lured me into moving to Annapolis by introducing me to all the wonderful little restaurants and regional foods that I could not get back home in Kansas City.

The hardest part of the training has been nutrition. No matter how hard I work in the gym, I know that ultimately if I want to see results I need to think of the food as fuel and make sure that my body is getting the right stuff at the right time. This weekend was especially hard as we hosted guests at our beach home during a holiday weekend. OUCH!

Breakfast is the hardest meal for me. I need to up the calories, but reduce the carbs (especially if I'm working out in the morning); There are only so many ways you can eat eggs and there aren't a lot of high protein foods that you can grab on the go. I don't eat anything processed or prepackaged, so that really eliminates a breakFAST. Breakfast is probably the meal that I have to do the most planning and prep for, because if I can't get it fast then I'll either make a bad choice in food or skip it all together! BAAAAAAD!

My mornings are absolute chaos. I get the kids out of bed and I literally have 15 minutes to get them out the door before all hell breaks loose. I try and get them to the preschool early so that they can get their breakfast and I can get to the gym and get a hard workout in before my work day begins. I'm already getting up super early to accomplish this, and it would require that I get up even earlier if I wanted to cook myself a breakfast. Its just not an option at this point.

I'll be speaking with Blythe tomorrow about breakfast options and finding a solution. I want to be successful at this and with breakfast being the first thing to my day...I need to be sure that I feel like I get off to a good start!

2 comments:

  1. I can completely relate to this. I am interested to hear if she has any great suggestions! Sometimes I make a big batch of vegan blueberry muffins using whole wheat flower and added ground flax seed but I don't know if that is too carb-heavy for you. They work great for my family when we're in a rush. I feel good about giving them to the kids and the antioxidants from the berries are good for all of us... but I know it isn't the best choice for fat loss (for me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it seems that whey protein shakes are going to be my pre-workout breakfasts!

    Blythe gave me great recipes for some post workout breakfasts. I'm excited to dive in and I'll be posting some of them and sharing reviews!

    ReplyDelete