Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Stretching; So valuable, but often skipped!

I'm terrible at stretching immediately after my workouts. I like to stretch in the evenings, while talking to the hubby, or watching TV. There are so many benefits to stretching: increases circulation, helps with muscle recovery, improves flexibility, reduces the risk of injury...

Yesterday, I did a kick-ass leg routine and I was truly feeling it today. My hamstrings were tight, my quads were screaming and my inner thighs were on fire! Blythe had me do a full body stretch session after our workout today and afterwards I felt like a million bucks! The muscles were relaxed and less sore and I felt a lot of tension release!

Remember to stretch evenly. Don't bounce.

Hold the stretch for a good 15 seconds at least!

Breathe through the stretch.

Don't over extend.

Don't push it to pain, just enough to feel hard resistance.

Other things to remember:
Stay hydrated!
Don't stretch before working out; do a light cardio warm up, train and THEN stretch!

Stretching...easy to forget, but a very very important part of the training process!

No comments:

Post a Comment