Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

6 Meals a Day

We naturally think, "I want to lose weight; I need to stop eating." WRONG! Many of us make this mistake in dieting in an effort to lose weight fast. You're going to sabatoge your efforts and end up feeling deprived, frustrated and HUNGRY!

Since I started "eating clean", I've also started eating more! I eat 6 small meals every day and I use food for fuel. Each meal is timed and planned to give my body what it needs when it needs it.

A typical breakfast for me at 6am is:

Whey Protein Shake
Organic Old Fashioned Oatmeal (1/2 c with 1 c skim milk)
Handful of blueberries
then I go workout.

After my workout 8am, I come back home and I immediately have:

either another Whey protein shake or an egg-white veggie omelet
1/2 grapefruit

10 am snack
large banana
2Tbsp of natural peanut butter/almond butter
slice of whole wheat toast/whole grain english muffin

12 pm lunch
whole wheat tortilla wrap
two grilled chicken tenderloins
Lettuce, tomato, onion

3 pm snack
12 almonds
cottage cheese
handful of berries

6pm dinner
grilled tilapia topped with tomatoes, bell peppers and basil
steamed veggies

sometimes before bed, I'll make myself a slow absorbing protein shake (100% Casein). That helps curb any late night cravings. The brand that I get is Optimum Nutrition, they come in such yummy flavors! I seriously feel like I'm drinking cake batter sometimes. I don't make a full shake, just half (its enough to satisfy my sweet tooth and keep me full late at night)

The first few days, it was hard to remind myself to eat. I had to pack a cooler and take it with me to work. I then had to set a timer at my desk to remind myself to eat. I never felt hungry or tired. I try and switch up my meals every single day. That way I don't get bored. Also, make sure that the food looks good! My mother used to tell me, "when food looks good, it tastes good". I make sure my meals are colorful; I put them on nice plates; and eat slowly.

Just remember when choosing foods, eat clean; don't eat foods that are processed, no additives, no added sugar, low sodium and low saturated fats. Your body will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment