Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Compound Exercises

This week I've started trying to incorporate more compound exercises into my weight lifting routine.  A compoud exercise is a multi-joint movement exercise that works SEVERAL muscle groups.  For example, today, while doing bicep curls, I did stationary lunges.  By the end of my reps in bicep curls not only were my arms fatiguing, but my quads, hamstrings, and calves were SCREAMING! 

Why use more muscle groups?
  • means more calories burned during exercise.
  • simulates real-world exercises and activities.
  • allows you to get a full body workout faster. 
  • improves coordination, reaction time and balance.
  • improves joint stability and improves muscle balance across a joint.
  • decreases the risk of injury during sports.
  • keeps your heart rate up and provides cardiovascular benefits. 
  • allows you to exercise longer with less muscle fatigue.
  • allows you to lift heavier loads and build more strength
I've definitely felt the intensity this week and I'm super proud of myself for getting up in the wee hours of the morning and getting these workouts done and over with before my family begins their day.  I just feel more productive, more energized (which is funny since I'm getting LESS sleep) and really motivated to keep this up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment