Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

What Motivates Us?

On the CUT THE FAT PODCAST Facebook page, there was a question about what motivates us. It was so inspiring and extremely motivating to hear what other people do or think to motivate themselves. It made me reflect inside myself and think about what motivates me.

I remember talking to a woman who was recently divorced. She and her husband had been married over 20 years and it was sad to see their marriage just deteriorate. I asked her..."what happened?" and her answer was quite simple..."I forgot how to be a woman." Man did that resonate with me!

I think that's what was happening with me, I forgot to be a woman; some may think, "what the heck does that mean Alice Anne?!?!?" I admit I'm probably just about the girliest girl out there. I don't mean woman in the sense of being feminine. Femininity is not something I've ever lacked. I'm talking about being a PERSON. I was so busy being a mother, a wife, a business owner, a daughter, a volunteer, etc....I didn't take care of ME.

What I realized was that in the efforts to give so much of myself to so many other people and things, I was stretching myself too thin and rather than doing good for a lot, I was doing a lot...and not very good. I was stressed, tired, irritable, achey, sick, frantic, busy, overwhelmed and I didn't feel very good about myself at all. My life was in a downward spiral and everything around me was just falling apart.

I thought about the recently divorced woman and remembered her words about "being a woman" and decided it was time to start taking care of me. Does that sound selfish? Probably. However, in taking the time for me to take care of my body, eat healthy, gett rest and feel good about myself my friends, family, and work reap the benefits.

My husband says, "Yeah, I benefit...my wife is SMOKIN' HOT!" LOL! Then he goes on, "in all honesty, I don't worry about you; you're not getting as sick as you were before, you're less stressed, happier...and yeah, you're smokin' hot!" Thanks, Marty!

My kids see me eating healthy, taking care of my body and they are making good choices about the foods they eat and they want to exercise too! Today, on the way to the gym my husband and I were planning our workout, my son exclaims from the back seat, "I'm gonna workout too! I'll do the bench, then flys and then some airplanes cuz I'm a muscle man!" TOO CUTE!

I really feel that what motivates me is that I want to be the BEST ME so that I can give the very best to those who need me. If I don't take care of my health and my body, how could I possible do anything to be there for my family, friends and work? I think about that when I'm planning my food and when I'm pushing hard at the gym. I'm doing this for me...so that I can give to others!

I want to hear what motivates you! Please comment on what motivates you...it really is inspiring to hear and read!

4 comments:

  1. Well, a lot of what you wrote rings true to what motivates me. I have always been into fitness in one way or another. It was just for health and looks at first, but now it goes much deeper. After having the kids, and watching other parents not take care of themselves it drove it home to me, that I need/WANT to take the best care of myself. I would like to be around for a long time (God willing) and that means I have to live a healthy lifestyle. I was given this body, I only get one and I'm going to take care of it! I want these kids to be set up for the best life they can have. I strongly believe that it's my job to fuel them with the best of foods. Afterall, they cannot go and get their own foods. It's up to ME, which means we shop the outside of the grocery store and rarely have "convenience foods". I want them to see us taking care of ourselves, fueling our bodies with healthful foods and working out. It's a fine line though, with a 6 year old girl I have to watch how I phrase things in front of her... I don't want her to become obsessed or think that it's not okay to have a cookie once in awhile :-) I'm also motivated by the mental health benefits. While I do suffer anxiety, the symptoms lessen with workouts.

    Aside from family, a close second in the motivationl department is my clients. They help me to keep going (even though I am addicted to the gym and working out LOL). I want them to have a trainer who doesn't only talk the talk, but walks the walk. I truly love my job and I love working with them. Being able to share my love and passion with other people and watch them grow and blossom into beautiful health nuts is truly a blessing! THAT motivates me!

    OH! And how can I forget my fitness fanatic friends! Like you AA, and other MSIIers... and my gym rat friends. You all motivate me. On low lazy days I think of you guys and it makes me smile, pick up my bright Lulu gym bag and hit the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing AMIE! You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am motivated by my career, first off. If I don't keep myself in shape, I can't teach dance, choreograph or perform how I'd like. I also want people to look at me and say, "yeah, she looks like a dancer." That may sound strange, but I've always felt that I've looked like a dancer and I'd like to keep it that way!

    Also, of course, I'm motivated by my husband. He is always telling me how sexy I look. I also know he thinks that because whenever I walk by him, he grabs at me. LOL! I once asked him if he would still think I'm sexy if I gained a bunch of weight. He said that knowing me, that would never happen. Very true! I wouldn't want to let myself go and he wouldn't do that either. It comes from making sure that I'm healthy and we keep the spice in our marriage.

    Also, I'm motivated by my daughter and my future children. The healthier I am, the healthier they are and the wiser decisions they'll make.

    ReplyDelete