Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Move Forward to be the Best You

Often times when I talk to my challengers about their goals I get lots of answers such as, "I want my pre-baby body" or "I want to look like I did in my 20s".  It seems to be a standard goal/dream to go back in time and be where we were years ago when it comes to our health and fitness.  I will admit, that I too have longed for that 20-something body that isn't marked with the signs of motherhood; we've all wished to return to our youth.  We'd love to go back in time and give ourselves advice:  treat your body better, we'd say, learn to exercise early in life, eat your vegetables.  Ha ha!  It's a sad, and funny truth.

Last week, I was listening to the challengers tell me once again how they'd love to go back.  Back to what?  Back to pre-college, pre-wedding, pre-baby, pre-everything.  Hell, if we go back far enough maybe we can back to our original weight of 7lbs 3oz!  Suddenly it was like a light bulb went off!  Everyone's wishing the impossible!  We cannot go back.  No matter how hard I wish or work, I cannot go back in time!  The world is moving forward; seconds, minutes, hours...years.  Life keeps on moving.  Now, I have the choice.  I can focus on where I used to be and continue to wish to have that body back, or I can move forward and decide to have the best body and health I've EVER had.  

I've seen and experienced my 20 something body, guess what, I wasn't happy with it then (silly girl) but as I entered my 30s, I knew I worked hard, I know that I earned it, I know that it took focus and discipline and, well, my reward is to feel like I'm in the best shape of my life.  No going back, no wishing for what's gone and past.  It's time to look forward and say, "I'm ready to take a step towards my best me!"  

You can't be 40 with three kids and look like you did when you were 18 years old.  I mean, I guess you could, but how many botox injections, tucks, lifts, peels and heaven knows what else would you have to under go?  However, you can be a smokin' hot 40 year old with three kids and not just look good for being 40 with 3 kids, but just look and feel good.  Period.  Wear your age and your life well.  My body is not perfect, but it's gone through months of stretching, expanding and growing both my children.  My body endured labor and childbirth. I nursed both my children for a year each.   I spent many nights sleeping sitting up with an infant on my chest because that's the only way he'd sleep and I've bounced a little girl on my soft hips while navigating my way through life as a working mother.  I should be proud of what my body can and has done; not ashamed of it.  

Through my journey of health and fitness, each day I've pushed myself farther and harder than the day before, at least I've strived to do that, and I know that today I'm stronger than I have ever been.  I could run circles around my 20-something self and I certainly understand the value of good healthy habits and I'm definitely kinder to my body and my emotions.  I no longer look back and wish to rewind the clock.  I look ahead and wonder where I'll go next and how with each passing year, experience and challenge, I'm stronger, empowered and determined to be the very best me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment