Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Bountiful Bikram

I've been known to be a "Groupon hoarder".  I have a terrible habit of buying Bikram Yoga Groupons.  It sounds like a really great deal: 10 Classes for $29 or 20 for $49.   I figure that its so reasonable that even if I use it only twice, I've gotten my money's worth.  Well, the last time I went was back in February, I've since let one Groupon expire, leaving 15/20 classes unused, as well as purchased another Groupon that is nearing its expiration.  I know.  It's an illness.  I always tell myself I'll go!

So this weekend, the owner of the studio emailed me and offered to combine all my unused classes (totaling 35) to a 10 class card (yes, she talked me into buying another 10 classes! UGH!)  So I am now the proud owner of 45 Bikram Yoga sessions that I MUST USE BY JAN 18.  No pressure.  I think I'd have to go every other day to use them all- it's a lofty goal, but I will rise to the challenge. 

Naturally, I felt that I had some serious Mojo/Motivation since I had just purchased more classes.  I packed my tush, my yoga mat and towel, and headed to the 11am class yesterday.   Aaaaaaand then I remembered why it is so hard to get me to class. 

#1 It smells like a jock strap
#2 The 250lb hairy man/gorilla next to me
#3 The 250lb hairy man/gorilla's sweat is definitely going to hit me
#4 I am too immature to handle bodily noises that escape fellow yogis without at the very least a small chuckle
#5 I'm a major germaphobe.  Honestly, do they have to have the room carpeted?

 
 
Aside from all that, it's an incredible workout.  90 minutes in 106 degrees, 26 poses, 900 calories burned.  I know that it's worth it.  I know the benefits.  I feel fantastic afterwards.  Getting to class...still damn near impossible. 

I was really nervous about class yesterday too.  I know that missing for long periods of time, you're just not going to retain your flexibility, it's going to feel hotter in the room, and the poses are REALLY hard to hold!  My legs were shaking, I did have trouble breathing at different points, only felt light headed a few times, but overall I was really pleased with myself.  I definitely came out feeling stronger than I thought I would.  #1, #2 and #22 are still awful for me, but I got through it. 

So I'm making a proclamation.  I WILL GO!  NO EXCUSES.  I will not let these Groupons die in vain! 

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment