Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Going Public

I never thought this day would come.  I suppose I've been holding out on typing this because I knew that once I put it on the blog I would have no choice but to follow through.  I have never thought of running as truly an "enjoyable" form of exercise.  I remember having to run in P.E. class (oh that dreaded class) or racing other children on the playground, or even later in life I would cringe at the thought of any more than 10 minutes on that wretched treadmill.  Running was not my idea of fun, or relaxing, or good in any other way. 

So what's my big news?  Well, from previous posts, I guess you have learned that I have recently taken up running.  I don't know how or why it started.  My friend Heather suggested that I come out with her, and I suppose I was looking for some quality time with a friend.  Here we are several months later, and I still meet with her and another friend, Kathy, twice a week.  Wednesdays are our "short runs", we try to do about 4 miles while mine and Kathy's daughters are in chorus rehearsal. We only have a little under an hour, but we make the best of our time.  Our longer runs are on the weekends, depending on what day we can meet, Kathy will join us (she's a good catholic and doesn't miss church).  Last week we did 8 miles on Sunday and at the end of the run I thought to myself, "I could have easily kept going!".  That is a HUGE improvement! 

Back to my big news... So you may have observed that I really do enjoy a challenge.  Running against my husband in our little running challenges has really gotten me to push myself out of my comfort zone and get out there and run even when I wasn't really "in the mood".  I knew that someone else was going against me and I had to get my miles in.  I know without a doubt that because I was running so much, it made my runs with Kathy and Heather so much easier and with their support and company, I was getting better and better!

Ok, I'm getting to my point!  So Kathy and Heather have convinced me that I'm ready for a half marathon!  Yes, I'm going to do it!  I can't believe it...who would have ever thought that I, Alice Anne, would ever ever be interested in running 13.1 miles FOR FUN!?!?! 

The date is set for June 2nd at 7am.  I'm training hard, doing about 20-25 miles per week.  My knees have seen better days, but I stretch well, focus on good strenth training exercises to build the muscles that support the joints, and maintain a healthy diet to give me the energy I need to sustain. 

I find myself missing my runs if I go a day without it.  I feel so alive and strong after a good run.  When I'm alone, I think about my life and my goals and come up with some pretty great ideas (either challenges for my Biggest Losers group, new recipes I want to try out, organizing strategies for my home...the list goes on!).  When I'm with my friends, its social time.  I love hearing about their lives, what's going on with Kathy's kids, or Heather's students and all the amazingly normal but wonderful things that friends share with one another.  I appreciate the time we have together, even if we're sweating our little butts off!

So there you have it.  I'm a runner and really happy I am!  Never ever thought that day would come.

No comments:

Post a Comment