Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Being Thankful

Today was what my trainer, Blythe, calls my cheat day or my "refeed".  Basically, I can eat whatever I want, without logging food, as long as do my planned workouts for the day.  My workout for today was to run 5 miles and also do some biking with the kids. 

I got to go out to breakfast with my family.  Since its my refeed day, I indulged in Eggs Benedict, and as you can imagine I was stuffed after eating only half!  I'm not used to such decadent breakfasts.  So I was feeling full and not very motivated to run, but I knew I had to since I had indulged!  In my mind, I was dreading going back home and gearing up. 

As we were walking out, a man in a wheelchair (he obviously had mental and physical disabilities and spent his life in the wheelchair) smiles and says hello to my family as he's coming into the restaurant.  I smile and then notice that his shirt reads:  JUST DO IT NIKE.  GO RUN.  I think to myself, "either this guy has an incredible sense of humor or he doesn't realize what his shirt says." 

In the minutes afterwards, I start to realize how terribly sad it is that this man cannot run!  I can!  THANK GOD I CAN!  I immediately no longer dread my run, rather I get home, get dressed in my gear and head out the door! 

There may come a day when I my body cannot do the things I want it to.  Today is not that day.  I ran in good time.  The air was cool and brisk, the sun was bright, the music was good and my legs were strong.  I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment