Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Crazy

If I had a nickel for every time someone told me I was crazy for getting up at 4am to workout...well you know the quote. I suppose if you're not a morning person that does seem crazy, just like I don't know how people go to the gym at 10pm.

So why do I get up at that hour to workout? To be perfectly honest, it wasn't my first choice, but I had a hard time scheduling an hour or two for to hit the gym to get a good workout in that didn't interfere with my family or work schedule.

The issue for me is that I don't like to feel rushed or cramped for time while working out. Why should I be worried about anything else when that's my time to focus on me? Aren't I always scurrying to make it somewhere for someone for something? I can tell you this, there is no one to think about at 4am. There are no phone calls, emails, dinner on the stove, picking up kids, meetings, playdates or hubby running late. It's just quiet. It is just me (and my new workout buddies) and my time.

I pack my gym gear the night before, allow time to take dog out and eat breakfast, then I give myself plenty of time to get a hard workout, with sufficient breaks for rest. I'm home before the family even gets out of bed. By the time our day opens to full family chaos, my workout is complete. I start my "mom-day" as a refreshed, strong and energized woman. My workout is complete and my batteries are charged and I didn't compromise a moment of my family time.


What about sleep? Did I miss out on that? Of course not! At first, I had to force myself to get to bed early, but after almost 9 months of this consistent routine, I have no trouble making my way to bed early. Again, my kids are asleep and my hubby watches tv or reads while I slip into dreamland, so I'm not zonking out during family time. No guilt!

On the weekends, Marty takes kids to gym and to breakfast while I get my long runs in. I don't feel guilty about that time away either...the three of them are getting quality time and I'm home mid morning ready to spend the day with them.

So am I crazy? Probably. But not because I workout early. I consider myself organized, disciplined and with a strong ability to prioritize my schedule and time so that I have time for MY needs which then allows me to give my best to those who need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment