Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sink or Swim

Today I had my first swim lesson. It wasn't really a lesson, per say, but my daughter's "BFF"s mom invited (actually challenged) me to join her at the gym to swim some laps. I've been toying with the idea of giving it a try. So I bit the bullet, and put on the swimsuit.

I'm not a good swimmer, not at all actually. I've never had formal swim lessons, and my mother couldn't swim so we never spent any time in a pool or around much water while I was growing up. Having kids of my own now and since we are always around water, I feel very strongly that my children learn how to swim. I also believe that we should practice what we preach and lead by example, so into the pool I go!

Mistake #1, not all swimsuits are created equal. I happened to run into said BFF's mother at SAMs club and when she invited me, I told her that I didn't really have a suit that would work for swimming laps. She pointed to the Speedos hanging in the clothing section...hmmph. Speedo is a good swimsuit right? Right! If you buy the RIGHT Speedo! I bought a nice purple one. In the size I normally wear in swimsuits. I get to the gym, put on the suit and BLAH, its TIGHT. This one was also low cut. Hello, cleavage! Just what I needed; it made an already uncomfortable situation...uncomfortable. Nevermind the fact that the life guard immediately commented on my hourglass shape and ta-tas. I thought if she stared any longer she'd have to buy me dinner! Well, I guess the good point to having the suit feel tight is that it will be a reminder that I cannot gain any weight ;)

Mistake #2, bring swim cap and goggles. Thankfully, my friend brought me extras, but it would have been great if I had come prepared. I felt bad borrowing, so I only used the goggles. My eyes were thankful; my hair suffered.

Mistake #3, rushing to catch breaths. I swallowed more pool water than I'd care to admit. Apparently, learning to breathe and swim is not as easy as one might think. My friend says that once I get this down, swimming will be much easier.

Mistake #4, working your legs the day prior to swimming. I was so sore! I'll know better next time.

Mistake #5, lifting weights AFTER swimming. I didn't realize how sore my shoulders would be. I probably could have skipped the weights afterwards.

So that's day one of swimming. I definitely plan to keep it up. I am so glad I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and I beleive that with months, years, decades of practice, I might actually be good at this. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment