Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Raise the Barre

I think that is what I would have liked to have said in class today. Don't get me wrong, the workout was good, but I judge my workouts by the condition of my hair when I'm finished and let's just say my hair was damn near perfect (in fact someone asked me if I just had it done!) when I walked out of the exercise room. I barely broke a sweat.

There were a couple times when I started to cramp in my hamstring or buttocks, but overall, the workout was probably what I would considerate "medium" or even "light" intensity. I think that this will be a wonderful "filler" workout for me. I hope to do it about twice a week because it does give me an overall body workout that doesn't completely wipe me out for the rest of the day.

I loved the music, the instructor was lovely, the class size was perfect and I know that my flexibility will greatly improve; its just not as intense or hard as I thought it would be. I'm not saying that the instructor wasn't great. She new what she was doing and we had fun, but this was just not what I had anticipated after reading all the blogs and hype about Barre.

My husband asked if I thought the class challenged the other people in the room, and I think it did. I think with my background in heavy lifting, my sadistic love of squats and lunges, and because of the high intensity workouts I've become familiar with and have come to expect I was not prepared for a slower paced workout. This is actually a good thing though. Not every day can be a HARD day.

Like I said, this class is really going to help my flexibiliy, give me an overall body workout and elongate my muscles, specifically in my legs. I'm going to go for it again in a couple days. If anyone has any suggestions on how to challenge myself a little more in the class, I'm all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment