Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

HIIT Cardio and Ab Work

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Cardio is the best way to blast fat! Both Kelly and Blythe want me doing HIIT training 2-4 days per week. This type of cardio is much harder than steady state cardio (running at the same pace for 20-30 minutes). Today, I ran my neighborhood; it was a hard run since there are so many steep hills! I jogged at about 4 miles per hour for 2 minutes and then sprinted as hard as I possibly could for 1 minute; jogged for 2, sprint for 1, rinse repeat for the full 20 minutes.

Why is this better for fat loss? Well, when you run at a steady pace, your body adjusts to the rate and then conserves energy (fat) because it goes into a "steady state", by doing the interval training it can't adjust because your heart rate is constantly going up and down.

By the end of my 20 minutes, I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest. Blythe told me that I should push myself as hard as I possibly can during my sprint. I don't think my heart rate has ever gone that high! I really pushed myself out there today and even though it is only 20 minutes, I felt that I really maximized my efforts!

After my run, I came inside to do ab work. Today, I did 3 sets of 30 crunches, 3 sets of 30 bicycles (you have to do each side to count as 1) and then 3 60 sec. planks. OUCH! I always follow HIIT with ab work. Ab work should only take about 10-15 minutes tops. I watch my form, focus on pulling those abs in and making sure that I get a good squeeze.

Great morning workout! I'm off to make my shake!

No comments:

Post a Comment