Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Selecting a Trainer

After I decided that I wanted to persue Figure Competing, I knew that my first step would be to talk to people that had experience with the competitions.  I first reached out to a girl I went to high school with who I knew participated in Figure Competing.  I then reached out to my friend, Amie Gaudet, who I know from a women's online forum that I am part of.  Both ladies gave me fantastic support, advice and guidance!  Both also suggested that I get a trainer.  So my research began. 

My husband actually found 4 trainers in the Washington DC/Baltimore Area.  Unfortunately, there were no trainers available in Annapolis.  I started interviewing the trainers through email and telephone conversations and actually narrowed it down to two that I thought would be a good fit for me.  The trouble was, the trainers were a good hour or so away from Annapolis and I knew that in order for me to be successful, I needed to be sure that my trainers were available and that it wasn't going to create a major inconvenience for me to meet with them.  I was feeling a little discouraged and was getting frustrated that I didn't have more favorable options.

I had remembered speaking to a woman, Kelly Gonzalez (http://kellygonzalez.com/), at my gym several months earlier that I knew participated in the competitions, so I gave her a call to see if she could recommend anyone local.  I knew she was also a personal trainer, but I didn't realize that she would be willing to train me as I prepare for the competition.  She did recommend that as I get closer, I start working with one of the trainers that actually specializes in Figure Competition Training, but I've got some work to do before I can meet with them. 

So I'm working with Kelly now.  She's putting together a monthly nutrition plan for me and also helping me change up my workout.  We're really going to get me working SMARTER.  She's not training me in a sense that she'll be working out with me daily; I'm not looking for that sort of trainer.  I'll be checking in with her through phone and email weekly and she'll be making sure that I'm set up with routines, diet plans and keeping on track to successfully meet my goals in the healthiest way possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment