Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Finding the Time

The #1 question I am asked about working out is, "How do you find the time?" Hmmm....

When someone asks me this question, the first thing I want to say is, "there's no such thing as 'finding the time'." Time is something that cannot be found. We all have about a million and three things we could with our time. Guess what? We're all given 24 hours in every single day. I don't have any more time than anyone else. So what's this, "finding the time"? No one finds time to do anything that is a priority to them; they MAKE THE TIME.

Life if about priorities, finding what's important to you and setting aside time in your life to do those things. I make the time to spend with my children, I make the time to keep my home clean and comfortable and I make the time to take care of things that are important to me (my children, my marriage, my work and my body) I'm no less busier than anyone else, in fact, I think my life schedule is pretty packed. I run a small business as a preschool owner/director, I'm a mother to two small children, I'm active in my community as a volunteer, the list goes on and on. I have a lot of things that are important to me.

Its like I tell my kids, "You're only in charge of yourself." No one is going to do your priorities for you. No one is going to take care of your body but YOU. You only have one body so you better do what you need to do to make sure it lasts you a long time.

I know that I need to work out. Its what my body needs to feel its best. So, I get up early, get my kids where they need to be for the day and then I TAKE that time that I MADE for myself and I get it done. This philosophy doesn't just apply to working out, you can apply it to anything that is important to you.

My schedule:
Monday and Wednesday: Get up and get myself and the kids out the door by 6:45 am. Drop kids off at the preschool (Marissa rides in a carpool to school and is picked up at my preschool) I'm at the gym by 7:10 am. I work out until a little after 8:00 am. Get home and get showered and I'm to work by 9:00 am. I do carpool at 3:00 for my daughter and then I'm back to work by 4:00 pm until about 6:00 pm. After 6:00 pm, that's family time. I'm fortunate in that my work schedule can be flexible because I'm a business owner (note: flexible does not mean less demanding) I have a home office where I can work after the kids are in bed.


Tuesday and Thursday: The kids and I are at the preschool by 7:00 am. I work until its time for me to go to the gym at 1:30 pm. I then do cardio until about 2:15 pm and then pick Marissa up from school by 3:00 pm. Then I'm back to work by 4:00 pm and work until about 6:00 pm. Again, family time at 6:00 pm.

Friday: Same as Monday and Wednesday, except I don't go back to work after the afternoon carpool.

Sat and Sun: The family gets up and goes to the gym at 8:00 am. The weekends are generally cardio days for me, but I sometimes do a little extra lifting. We're usually out of there by 9:00-9:30 am. Then the rest of the day is ours to do family things, get chores done and prep for the week ahead!

In today's society we find ourselves rushing around, pushing aside our own needs and feeling exhausted. Making the time for yourself, keeping your commitment and holding yourself accountable is very empowering. I find that I'm a much better person all around. I'm rejuvinated, focused, destressed and ready to take on life's challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment