Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Food for the Family

One thing that has been really great about this lifestyle change is that my family is just so supportive and on board with the food! I am definitely a person who LIVES to EAT so trying recipes and experimenting with food has been a lot of fun (and challenging) for me!

My daughter has been the most excited about the food; she is a lot like me when it comes to food and there really aren't many foods that she doesn't love.

I'm often asked what I feed my kids while on my "health kick" and I always feel surprised by this question. If we're eating healthy, why wouldn't we want our kids to eat healthy too, right???

The picture to the left isn't one of my MOST healthy lunches, but I think it definitely beats what most school lunches consist of; think about the hot lunch options in elementary school with their "mystery meat" and such.

Here we have, mini pita pockets, stuffed with tuna salad (made with mustard and celery and a little added spices) Mixed raw veggies with garlic hummus; water crackers with a cheese wedge and then her "treat" of gold fish. This will serve as her morning snack and her school lunch.

I'm limited because they don't allow her to heat up any food during the day. I can send a thermos, but I'll save that for the colder months. I get away with sending her great salads, sandwiches, wraps, cut up meats and cheeses, etc. We do alright with what we can work with. Of course, my pancakes always make their way into her lunches often too!

My point is, kids will eat what they are used to being fed. If we only serve our kids sodas, juices, sugars and prepacked food...that's what they will want and what they will get used to. For me, I feed my family what I eat. I want their bodies strong and healthy too!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree - I have some friends who are trying to eat healthy and worry so much about what to feed their kids while they eat healthy stuff. I just don't get it. They come up with reasons/excuses for their kids! I told her that she would be surprised how open minded kids are when it comes to food. People need to know that they are the parent and need to take charge on what their kids eat!

    Did you ever watch Food Revolution with Jamie Oliver. If not - you definitely should - You'll be amazed how much adults are so resistant to change for the better of the children. It's sickening.

    ReplyDelete