Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Dressed for Success!

Have you ever thought about what you wear while working out? I never did before, but then again, I was never really someone who "worked out" before last year. I remember throwing on some old sweatpants/yoga pants, a big t-shirt and grabbing whatever sweatshirt I could find if it was cold... You get the idea. I was FRUMPY and not put together; I didn't think about the quality of my clothing, how I was able to move in it and if it fit the needs of a working, sweating, straining body.

Over the last 18 months, I've learned the value of a good shoe. I wear Asics now. They support my narrow foot, provide the support and cushion I need and have outlasted other brands I've tried. I'm someone that puts a moderate amount of miles on the running shoe and I know that to protect the knees, ankles and legs, you need to invest in a good shoe. I also know that when the sole is wearing down, its time for a new shoe. It doesn't matter what brand you choose, just be sure to get a good shoe that fits YOUR needs.

As for clothing, I've learned that I like to see my body working. I want to see what muscles are used, I don't try to "hide" my body with clothing now; I want to see everything (especially the areas that need the most work!) I'm not saying I walk around in a sports bra and booty shorts, but I definitely wear tighter workout gear so I can see my muscles at work.

I also look for clothing that can "breathe". Lululemon (http://www.lululemon.com/) has great gear! I love their pants; most are reversable too, which helps add versatility to the wardrobe! There is great value in a good pant. A heavy material doesn't allow you to breathe or move. Then you have to worry about your pants shrinking or stretching and not holding their shape. I've never had the problem with Lululemon. You do have to airdry the pants, but I don't mind that, they dry quickly! Don't use fabric softener, as that can ruin the wicking effect that makes the pants so awesome!

I also love their jackets; they are great for running outside during the chilly months. They have the little thumb holes in the sleeve that keep your sleeve down during a run and protect your hands from the chill. They are thin and lightweight, but still offer great warmth, but also allow your body to sweat without getting too hot!

I get my sports bras and shirts from Target. They've got a great selection and they are pretty inexpensive. I like razorbacks and tank tops. Nothing annoys me more than a shirt that bunches in your underarm or feels like its glued to you.

Similar to your work life, you dress for success. You need to be properly dressed/prepared and equipped to do your job...same for your workouts. I'm not saying we all need to be dressed up and sportin' the latest styles, but I definitely feel better about myself and my workouts when I'm not uncomfortable and my clothing is jamming me up!

1 comment:

  1. I agree re: Lululemon. It's expensive but the quality is great and well worth the investment! Which shirts do you like at Target? I've always found them to be short on me. :(. I like their sports bras though!

    ReplyDelete