Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Beautiful Inside and Out



Over the years, I've seen myself go through pretty dramatic changes.  Losing over 60lbs, dropping nearly 18% body fat, going from a size 10 to 0, and everything in between.  I at times find myself a slave to the scale.  I have to remind myself that the scale only measures ONE thing.  The scale does not know me.  It does not validate whether or not I work hard.  It does not know whether or not I'm healthy, strong or happy.  The scale does not know me.

Through the weight loss challenges, I've seen many people go through dramatic changes as well.  I've had people drop serious weight, some stay the same weight challenge after challenge with no physical change but demonstrate TREMENDOUS growth in character, some stay the same weight challenge after challenge, repeatedly falling back on the same habits and rituals that lead no where. 
I've had people apologize profusely to me for their lack of progress.  I have people that fear I'm disappointed in them or that they've let me down.  I think those apologies are absurd.  Who am I to judge?  We are all on our own separate journey, merely peering in on one another; checking in; encouraging and supporting from our own paths.  I often joke, "Do you think I won't love or care for you if you don't lose weight?!"  Doesn't that sound silly?! 

My health and fitness journey has taught me a lot about who I am; inside and out.  I found that I'm stronger, more focused, more determined and more stubborn than I thought.  I've gained empathy and compassion for others.  I've learned that if I speak my fears, insecurities and doubts out loud, I'll find I'm not alone; and even better I've found that my words often give comfort and encouragement to others who thought they were alone and realize that they are not.  Being healthy is a lifestyle, a commitment that you must make to yourself, and it is NOT EASY!

I've never chastised anyone when they don't reach a goal.  We've all struggled.  We've all set goals, fallen short; we have to pick ourselves up, brush off and try again.  The beauty of growth and progress is that you love and respect yourself enough to GET BACK UP.  I'll always be a cheerleader for those who want to improve themselves. 

Week after week, people weigh in to me.  They send me a number on the scale.  They say harsh things about themselves.  They tear themselves down.  They are frustrated and scornful.  They hate the scale.  They hate what it represents.  I ask them to change their mindset.  To focus on kindness and self-care.  I ask them to do what makes them feel good, but in a healthy way.  Eat foods you love, but are GOOD for you.  Find movement and activities that you enjoy so your life is enriched and you'll stick to it!  Be a friend that holds another friend accountable and find a friend that does the same for you.  Focus on being beautiful and healthy on the INSIDE.  Love yourself. 

When I see that I'm doing something or acting in a way that I don't like, I change it.  I put my big girl panties on and I own up to my failings/mistakes.  So I've slacked.  I lacked discipline.  I've let myself go.  I'm not taking care of me.  There are no excuses.  I'm in control of how I feel and act. 

My advice to those that base their worth on what the scale says?  Get over it.  Go stand in front of the mirror and ask yourself, "Am I hard worker? Am I fighting for what I really want?  Am I kind to myself?  Am I supportive of others?  Do I lead a life that I'm proud of?" That's where you measure yourself.  That's where you need to focus.  Taking care of you and living a life that is positive and healthy...THAT is what really matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment