Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Time for You


 
 
This was the picture I posted today for my challengers.  Most nights I peruse the internet trying to find motivational pictures, quotes, jokes, etc that really hit home for me and that I hope reach out to them to keep their fire going and help them stay on track throughout the challenge.  I've had a few challengers that have really tugged on my heart this past year.  Jennifer, Renee, Aileen, LeeAn, to name a few.  I see these women constantly put others before themselves and they truly suffer from it.  They don't seem make the time for themselves.  They put everyone else's needs before their own and I can see the toll it takes on them.  I've been there!  I'm a people pleaser too, and I know how easy it is to push your own needs aside and focus on others.  Usually it has to do with not wanting to let others down; however, sometimes it's easier to focus on others' needs than your own because you feel overwhelmed by your own needs.  It's a terrible vicious cycle!

I remember years ago at a cookout, a woman who was recently divorced and I started chatting.  I don't know what came over me that compelled me to ask her what she think happened that led her to divorce.  Her answer shook me to the core..."I forgot to be a woman."  That sounds like such an odd comment, but let me tell you, it hit me hard!  I knew EXACTLY what she meant.  I was a mom, a wife, a daughter, a sister, an employer, the list went on and on.  But who was AliceAnne?  What did I do for MYSELF? 
 
I wish I could say that the very next day I took charge of ME, but I didn't.  It wasn't until I was looking at my own marriage, my own friendships and work and life and not understanding why if I was doing so much for others, why was I so miserable...Why so resentful?  Why so tired?  The lightbulb went off and I was reminded what she said to me!  When I started my fitness journey, yes, I felt selfish.  People would ask me how I could devote so much time to working out.  I would hear, "I can't workout, I have kids; there aren't enough hours in the day; who has time for that?"  I would get looks and judgements about why I was putting so much time into myself...well, guess what?  My husband was happier, I was happier, I was more patient with my kids, I was more energized, I was organized...it all started coming together.  In taking care of myself, I was able to better take care of everything and everyone else.  If you're run down, unhappy and unhealthy, how much use are you to anyone else? 

So I'm saying it...TAKE CARE OF YOU.  No one else will.  Make yourself and your happiness and health a priority.  You get one life, one body, one chance.  Make it count!  

No comments:

Post a Comment