Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Stepping Out of Comfort Zone

I took Blythe's advice and met with a personal trainer from my gym.  I had previously mentioned that I didn't feel confident in most of them, but I chose to work with a young man named Maurice.  He's in really good shape; I always see him working with middle-aged women (rathen than meat heads), he's so nice and really seemed to know what he's talking about.  I had spoken to him month's before when he asked me to speak to one of his clients about nutrition.  I met with him last Thursday and I got an amazing workout routine!  He had me work an hour doing TRX.  TRX is suspension training.  You can learn more about it here:  http://www.trxtraining.com/suspension-training

It looks very intimidating, especially to someone like me who is probably the least coordinated person on the planet.  Working out using suspension straps, my own body weight, balance, core strength and did I mention BALANCE?  LOL!  Well, it was a challenging workout to say the least.  I had my arse handed to me.  Here I am three days later and I still wince every time I raise my arms.  That to me, folks, is signs of an awesome workout! 

I also learned a really great routine that focuses on my abs.  I admit that it's not the most comfortable position to be on the floor, feet in straps...ladies you know where I'm going with this...  you honestly have to just let your insecurities of how you look go.  I know I looked like a tangled up bafoon, but my abs got an incredible workout so it was worth it.  I know that in time I'll gain confidence and grace (ok, maybe just confidence;  or maybe I just won't care what I look like!)  For those of us with the mommy pouch, you know you really crave an ab routine that leaves you feeling like you did work!

So I'm looking forward to meeting with Maurice again.  I don't anticipate that I'll work with him regularly, but I think that he'll be able to help me out with my routines, force me to change things up and give me some pointers on how to maximize my workouts and my results!

No comments:

Post a Comment