Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Support Systems

My Fall Weight Loss Challenge/Group started yesterday.  A challenger posted something that really struck a chord with me and the sound wasn't pretty.  I'm not calling her out, or saying she did anything wrong, but I am saying that message and experience she shared has always frustrated me. 

So we're on our first day of the challenge and her husband baked cookies and brought them to her.  On one hand...awwwww, what a sweet husband!  On the other hand, ummmmmm hello!  This woman has just committed to herself to lose weight!  She's participating in a health and fitness challenge to get herself in a better place!  What the heck are you doing giving her cookies!?!?!?!  Want to do something sweet for your wife?  Go on a walk with her; offer to workout with her; search for some yummy healthy recipes for her; SUPPORT HER!

 
 
I would NEVER EVER EVER be successful if my husband wasn't 100% on board with being supportive and vice versa. When he and I set personal goals, we really count on each other to be the support, to help keep us on track and to do everything possible to make home comfortable with removed temptations. Throughout the challenge, I'm always telling you all to surround yourself with people that support you (that should be a general life lesson!) Fill your life with the people that are going to lift you up; obviously he's your husband and I'm not saying kick him to the curb because he baked cookies, but I am saying to everyone, talk to the people that are most important to you and let them know you're doing a challenge for YOURSELF and that you need their support to be successful. Having a strong support system (that doesn't mean THEY can't eat the cookies) just means that they understand you're working towards something and they will try to either refrain or remove obstacles that may prevent you from reaching your goals. 

Lesson:  When you want to support someone, look for ways that support THEIR goals, otherwise your nice gesture can hurt more than it can help!

No comments:

Post a Comment