Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Focus on Form

The gym is one of the most interesting places to "people watch".  I was assigned by my trainer to warm up with 18 minutes on the stair climber, which is at the back of the cardio room, so that gave me ample opportunity to observe the sea of cardio creatures at 5am this morning.  I couldn't help but notice this one young lady literally SWINGING off the elliptical machine a few rows ahead of me.  I feared for her safety!  She would swing back and let go of the machine with one arm and flail around like she was casting a fishing line!  I was terrified she was going to rip her shoulder or arm out of socket!

I thought to myself that there was no way that form was helping her.  I would be shocked if she didn't develop whip lash.  She was expending a lot of wasted energy and really to be honest, looked like a goober while doing it.  I'm normally a cheerleader; I am so proud of ANYONE that gets their booty up and to the gym, especially at 5am; but come on folks...let's do work!

Time and time again, I see people cranking out bicep curls or rockin' out with their bad selves on some resistance machine and I just want to walk over to them and say "work smarter, not harder!"  I'm no pro, but I can definitely tell when someone is completely wasting their efforts. 

FOCUS ON FORM; if that means you lowering the weight, resistance or speed, well...so be it.  Do it right.  Isolate muscles, put every effort into working exactly what you're supposed to work and be deliberate in your exercise.  I could probably lift a 30lb dumbbell and curl it too, but I'd probably arch my back, turn out my elbows and strain a neck muscle...how's that helping my bicep? 

I am not discouraging anyone from lifting if they aren't sure about their form, but I am encouraging you to ask for help, do some research and work SMARTER.  Don't be the cowgirl lassoing her bull on the elliptical; be deliberate, have a plan and put every effort into working out with a purpose. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment