Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Perspective

Today I was asked the question of whether or not I ever get frustrated with my journey.  Most people think that this has been easy for me.  Here was my answer to her:

There are definitely times when I have been in a "funk". I would miss workouts, be only at 50% or less, be grumpy, unmotivated, t...ired, etc. I also get a sweet tooth, or a carb overload and sometimes I skip eating all together. Sometimes, I get burnt out. I get tired of measureing/weighing/counting. I get tired of getting up and going to workout…

Just this morning, I overslept and missed my workout. I'm not beating myself up though. My body is tired. Missing one workout, even a week of workouts (although I don’t recommend it if you’re just starting out), does not equate to failure. It is only when you don’t lace those shoes back up and get back out there when you’ve really quit…so as long as you get back on it, you’re still in the journey.

You have to view each day as part of your fitness journey; your life. Every day of our lives is not easy. We have ebbs and flows and trials and tribulations. It’s only the sum of all efforts (good and bad) that give us the final result. Know what I’m saying? A bad day, a bad week, a bad month, does not make a bad life.

My fitness journey hasn’t always been about my weight and my looks either. Some of you don’t know me well, but the truth is 3 years ago, I found myself unhappy, overweight, struggling with my business, my marriage, motherhood, etc. I was STUCK. IN. A. RUT. Absolutely miserable with myself and everyone around me and just clawing to get by at life; ugly but true. When I hit the bottom, I looked around and saw what I really had, and let me tell you this WE ALL HAVE SO MUCH TO BE THANKFUL FOR. Then in November 2011, I received yet another lesson. My dad died tragically. So young and still so much life to live.

So over the last few years, I’ve learned a lot; about who I am, the life I want to live, the example I want to be to my children and the person I want to be to others. I’m not perfect, nowhere near it, but I definitely take every single day of my life as a gift.

I get mad. I get depressed, I get frustrated, demotivated, you name it. I’m human. I’m a working mother, a daughter, a sister, a wife, a friend. I’ve learned to cut toxicity out of my life as much as possible. I’ve learned when to step back and let others make their mistakes and even better, let them show me that by trusting in them they won’t fail (like that one Jessica?) I’m a huge control freak and I’m learning to let go of that which I cannot control nor change.

No, none of this came naturally. Actually it all came very UNNATURALLY. I have worked so hard and made it a daily goal and a daily habit to get up and put one foot in front of the other. Because the truth of it is, NO ONE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU BUT YOU. I don’t mean you can’t rely on others, God knows there have been a handful of people that have really been there for me; but people can only support you. You have to make the choices to be a better you.

So, don’t mean to get on a soap box, but you asked Yes, I’ve gotten frustrated with my weightloss journey, but when you focus on just being a better YOU…it all works out. One day of frustration does not break you. Look at yourself, your own worth and decide what you’re willing to invest in. If you don’t invest in you…who will?


I hope that made sense.  I tend to ramble when I get emotional :)

1 comment:

  1. If there's a like button on blogger. I would totally hit it. Well said.

    ReplyDelete