Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Catching Up

I was so excited to post about my 11 mile run, that I forgot I had so much more to share!  Last weekend, I ran 2 separate 5Ks, one on Saturday (which I ran with Heather and proceeded to run 5 miles immediately after for a total of 8) and one on Sunday (with my daughter and my good friend from highschool who flew in to spend the weekend with my family)

Saturday's run was hard!  The hills were brutal and I think both Heather and I were extremely wornout.  We did complete the 8 miles, but I did not feel well after the run and I honestly don't know how we finished the 5K let alone add the extra 5 miles to boot!  We started later in the morning, it was hot and I think it was just an "off day" for us both.  However, we did it, and we don't regret it!

Sunday's run was emotional.  The run was organized by my friend Heather for a child of a friend's who had passed away and we JUST attended his funeral the previous Monday.  It was all so fresh.  I got to hug his amazing mom and throughout the run I thought of their strength and love.  I was happy my daugther was able to run it with me; although she surprised me in that she had a rocky start.  I think she mentally scared herself and made herself believe that it was too hard.  Around the 2 mile mark, the got a little pep in her step and finished strong. 



I cannot thank my good friend, Morgan, who also ran in the race, enough for helping to cheer her on and give her some friendly competition.  My friend, Jennifer, flew all the way in from Kansas City to spend the weekend with my family and participate in this run.  She JUST took up running and had been experiencing some shin splint pain, so I think it was smart that we did walk/run at my daughter's pace.  It was just nice for us to be out there together, even if the weather was less than stellar, and help support the family that had just suffered such a loss. 

At one moment in the race, I looked back and saw my friend, who had just lost her son.  She was runinng the race.  She is so amazing.  No parent should ever have to bury a child; but I hope that she and her husband know that through their love, courage, strength, and loss, they have inspired so many and touch the hearts of more than they can count. 

No comments:

Post a Comment