Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mommy Guilt

Today we celebrate our daughter's 8th birthday.  We are visiting family in Seattle, WA this week and decided to make it a little family vacation.  My daughter thinks it is wonderful to be traveling on her birthday.  This morning, I geared up and decided to take a short run through downtown Seattle.  It was GORGEOUS.  Nothing like the Annapolis, Maryland muggy mornings we've been having. 

While on my run, I was thinking about my baby girl and thinking about how much my life has changed and how even more recently (these last few years) how I've really made my own health and happiness a priority.  I've heard so many moms say that they don't have time to work out; they are exhausted from raising children; they'd rather spend that time with their family etc.  I'm not going to lie and say that I've never been ridden with the "mommy guilt" and fallen victim (or martyr) to the "woe is me; there is never any time for me" mind set.  The truth is, moms have to take care of everyone...but who takes care of mom? 

So back to my run this morning.  I ran down by Pike's Market, at least it was the shell of Pike's Market; the vendors were gone, the streets were empty, but you could smell all the bakeries and small restaurants as they were gearing up for their day.  The air was crisp, the town smelled sleepy and new, I had 100% peace that my children were at the hotel with my husband while I was relishing in this time to myself. 

Does this make me a bad mother?  I don't think so.  When I got back from my run, I immediately went to weight room in the hotel; I knew my family was ok.  I lifted weights; my normal routine; and felt revived to have that time to renew my spirit and shake the travel fog.  My husband took the kids down to the hotel restaurant while I showered and dressed.  Once I finally sat down to breakfast with my family, it had been a full 2 hours since I had seen them.  I was rejuvinated!  I was cheerful!  My workout complete, I'm set for the day and we are all happy to see each other.  I didn't feel that I sacrificed any of my time, and therefore my time with them felt precious, sacred, nothing to distract me...

Let go of the mommy guilt friends!  Take care of you!  Give yourself the time you need to replenish yourself; fuel your body and mind and prepare to give yourself to your family!   Just food for thought.  Drop the guilt and pick up some free weights :)

No comments:

Post a Comment