Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Surviving the holidays

Its that time of year! Next week begins the festivities of the season and with that comes, potatoes, stuffing, gravy, pies, cookies, breads...AHHHHH! Sweet symphonies of delicious comfort food! But wait! What does that mean for the waistline?

Over the past year, I've learned to regulate myself and watch my portions and also watch what I eat and when. Even with clean eating, we allow ourselves one cheat a week and I'll be sure and savour that Thanksgiving meal, and not feel like I'm punishing myself at all the other holiday functions and parties. The important thing is that I put myself back in check and not allow those occasional meals to reset the pattern. I'll need to make sure that the following days, my carbs are lower and that I don't allow myself to store the extra sugar and fats.

Things I remind myself of to help me get through the season are:

1. Exercise! Don't let it slip!
2. Watch portions.
3. If you crave it, eat it. Just don't binge. I take "nibbles" to satisfy the craving and then remind myself that its not worth it...
4. Reset by having two days of low carbs following a large cheat meal.
5. I am not resisting food to punish myself. I resist it because I choose to be healthy and strong. I deserve to be fit and healthy. Its the BEST thing I can do for myself.

Celebrate the season, but don't finish off the year wishing for a new body...start the new year fit and healthy with the best gift you can give yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment