Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Marathon?!?!

Well, it looks like I've committed to run the 2014 NYC Marathon!  Oh Lord, what have I done!?  A few months ago, a group of us entered our names into the lottery to see if we would have automatic entry to this most amazing race (my sister-in-law, Jessica and I saw first hand how incredible this experience is when we went to support our two good friends Kathy and Heather last year).  Out of the 7 of us, one was picked.  I can't imagine a more deserving person to be drawn in the lottery.  Heather, who has registered, paid and fund-raised for the race THREE times, but only able to run ONCE, was finally picked.  We're an all or nothing deal, so the other six of us have committed to fund-raise so that the seven of us can do this marathon together.  We chose to join Team in Training to raise money for Lymphoma and Leukemia, a cause that is near and dear to many of us, and we will participate as a group to reach our goal of $3900/runner.  Stay tuned for our fund-raising page ;o)

Of course, we had to meet to discuss the ins and outs of this endeavor, so we chose to get our liquid courage at the Mexican Cafe in Annapolis.  Missing from the picture are Heather and Kelly, but they were certainly with us in spirit.  It was a fun evening of planning, freaking out, brain-storming fund-raising ideas, and more freaking out.


(Ann, Jessica, Kathy, AA, and Susan)



The next step was for me to be cleared by my doctor to begin training this June.  I was SO nervous, as a few friends, and even my husband, didn't think he would give me the clear.  Of course, I had high hopes.  As much as I tried to accept the possibility that he would tell me "no", I went into my appointment yesterday with FULL intention of telling him that I was strong and able to train and run this race.  I nearly dropped to the floor when he answered my inquiry with, "Absolutely!  Just listen to your body and be smart.  If pains come up as a result of the training, we can reassess, but I see no reason why you can't do this."  YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!  I got the clear!

So, last night, we all started individually registering for Team and Training.  Getting this email made is REAL.  It's happening.  Our journey begins! 



Now...we just need to come up with a cool team name?  Taking suggestions ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment