Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Find Your Groove

I've talked to many people lately about finding the time and energy to workout.  Like most, many people tack exercise as the "extra thing" that if it can fit, they will get to it...however, when you're really trying to reach a goal and live a healthy style, it MUST be a priority!  Someone once said to me, "exercise is like bathing...it doesn't work if you only do it once."  It must be part of your daily routine and lifestyle.  I'm constantly telling others, I don't FIND time to exercise, I MAKE time.  

Earlier this evening I had a long chat with one of my challengers, and a dear friend of mine, about finding her groove.  She's just a few months postpartum and really struggling to get her exercise in now that she has two children (5 years and newborn).  I know that she is a very spiritual person and is completely devoted to her prayer time.  I advised her to use her exercise time as an opportunity to nourish her spirit and soul as well.  Often times when I work out alone, I refer to that time as "moving meditation"; it's when I pray or reflect on life and send positive thoughts to those I love and know need encouragement.  Exercise isn't just about getting fit.  It's about taking time out for yourself, feeding your soul, nourishing your spirit and growing stronger both physically and emotionally.  

As you know, my career is working with young children.  My entire philosophy focuses on the growth and development of the "whole child", meaning we put emphasis not only on their cognitive learning, but also their social/emotional growth and physical development.  Well, growth and development doesn't just stop when you reach a certain age...it is on going...obviously until the day you leave this earth.  So I put that same emphasis on taking care of yourself as an individual.  You don't just need physical care, you also need to focus on your mental well-being (be it social/emotional/spiritual), cognitive growth- meaning you need to challenge yourself and take every experience as an opportunity to LEARN!  Think about it...what gets in the way of our physical abilities??  STRESS and mental fatigue.  So when those are out of balance, we can't take care of ourselves physically; we eat poorly, we don't exercise, etc.  When we aren't physically well, we get depressed, stressed, gain negative self image.  It's all connected and feeds the cycle.  

So find your groove.  Focus on yourself as a whole person and look at the BIGGER picture of health!  It's not always going to be in balance, but every once in a while you'll hit that good groove of working out, eating right, feeling good and learning more and more...and THAT right there is an amazing feeling!  

No comments:

Post a Comment